Free U.S. Shipping For Orders $150+
Enjoying amazing sex in your bedroom is not just about having good moves and great chemistry. Even if you have all those, there’s a lot in your bedroom that can derail your sex life. Details like lighting, hygiene, smell and even the kind of mattress and bedding you have matter a lot when it comes to good sex.
If you want to up your game, here are some bedroom essentials you should get.
1. A Comfortable and Responsive Mattress
Most people don't think about sex when shopping for a new mattress. But if you are sexually active, how good a mattress is during a romp matters a lot.
Let’s start with what to avoid. You don't want a mattress that traps heat as that can make the bed and bedroom uncomfortably hot and stuffy. A heat-trapping mattress also makes you sweat more, which can make the bed damp, smelly and unhygienic.
Also avoid a mattress that’s too soft and doesn't offer adequate support and bounce. On a too-soft mattress, movements during sex become difficult and laborious because you are sinking too deep into the mattress.
The best mattress for sex is responsive (bouncy), which adds energy and rhythm to your movements and makes for great and less tiresome sex. It is also cool and breathable. It should have plenty of support, including around the edges.
Latex and hybrid pocket coil mattresses meet all these requirements.
If your current mattress is not great for sex but you are not ready to get a new one, consider buying a latex topper. It will improve the bounce of your mattress, while also making it cooler.
2. Soft, Cool & Moisture-wicking Sheets
You will be naked and lying on the sheets. So it matters what kind of sheets you have. The last thing you want is to feel rough and scratchy sheets underneath you.
Invest in high quality sheets that are soft and luxurious. 200-400 thread count cotton sheets are perfect for most people. Silk, bamboo, linen and eucalyptus sheets are also good quality though linen takes a few washes to fully soften.
The sheets must also be breathable and moisture-wicking. This ensures you don't get all hot and clammy midway through a good time.
Breathable and moisture-wicking sheets also create a more hygienic environment since they don't stay damp, making them less than ideal homes for bacteria and germs.
For extra cleanliness and freshness, consider buying antimicrobial sheets such as our very own Jax sheets. They are treated to kill bacteria, including odor-causing bacteria. So not only are they clean, they also don't get smelly.
3. A Sturdy and Silent Foundation/Frame
If you have kids or live with other people, a squeaky bed frame is one of the biggest enemies to good sex. You are always worried people will hear what’s going on.
A shaky bed frame is not just embarrassing, it also doesn't provide the right amount of support. With time it will get wobblier and could even break down on you.
If your bed frame is still in good shape but it’s squeaky, tighten all the nuts. That should stop the noise and movement.
If you have an old bed frame, base or box spring, throw it out and buy a new one. By the way, box springs are outdated. Most mattress manufacturers don't recommend them as they don't offer adequate support and can quickly get squeaky.
Instead, get a solid wood or metal bed frame.
4. Sex Positioning Pillow
A mattress doesn't allow for interesting sex positions. Sure, you can try your Kamasutra but a flat surface limits how much you can try.
One of the simplest and yet the most consequential items you can add to your bed is a sex positioning pillow. Most of these look like wedge pillows. You will be surprised at just how many positions and styles you can get out of a simple wedge pillow. Even regular positions become a lot more enjoyable.
5. Sex Furniture
If you want to spice things up even more, consider getting sex furniture. These include hooks, harnesses and all sorts of contraptions.
If these are not your kind of things, at least get a bedside chaise lounge - one of those curved sofas that you can lounge on or enjoy great sex on.
A chaise lounge lets you try a wide range of positions and it’s a great opportunity to take sex away from your bed for those times you want a change.
Smells can be a big sex turn on. They can also be an instant turn off.
If your bedroom smells funky, moldy, or just dirty, it will really kill the vibes. So the first step, before you even consider adding some nice scents, is getting your bedroom smelling fresh.
Clean your bedding often, don't eat in your bedroom, get rid of clutter and avoid putting things like diary shoes, unwashed laundry or damp towels in your bedroom.
Once your bedroom smells clean and fresh, now you can enhance the mood with nice scents. The best way to do this is using natural essential oils. They are safe and healthy.
You can make a DIY diffuser using cotton wool or use an ultrasonic essential oil diffuser.
7. Soft Lighting
Scent and lighting go hand in hand if you want to create a nice romantic feel in your bedroom. Even if your overhead lighting is dimmable, it can be too much in your face. Floor and wall lighting creates better ambience.
Other Tips To Make Your Bedroom Sex-Friendly
- In addition to lighting and scents, another great way to add a sexy feel to your bedroom is having sensual or relaxing artwork on the walls. Plants, whether real or fake, can also improve the look and feel of your bedroom.
- Music can also add to the moment. A simple bluetooth speaker or a smart speaker is perfect for those moments.
- Try to keep your bedroom comfortably cool. If it’s too hot, it will kill the mood, especially with all the sweating. A hot bedroom is also bad for sleep quality. Turn down the thermostat to between 60-68 F or get a portable or window AC if you want to save energy. If it is only mildly warm, a fan or cracking open a window might be enough to bring temperatures down.
- Make your bedroom a sacred space for sex and sleep. If possible, avoid doing other activities there like eating, working or watching TV. This not only makes the space feel special, it also becomes easier to keep it clean and tidy.
- Talking of tidiness, get rid of clutter from your bedroom. Clutter can affect your mind and get in the way of a good time. Take a few hours to organize your bedroom, putting everything where it should be and getting rid of what you don't need.
- If you don't live alone, lock your bedroom door. It not only ensures no one sees anything they can’t unsee, it also gives you peace of mind and lets you carry on with your nasty business worry-free.
- Keep your phone and other gadgets out of the bedroom. Good sex includes a build-up period, which won’t happen if you are browsing on your phone or watching TV. As a bonus, removing gadgets from the bedroom will also help you sleep better.